The M.U, Georgioupolis is located on the eastern side of the municipality Apokoronos and bordered by the municipality of Rethymno. It consists of five local communities and according to the 2001 census the population amounts to 2,483 inhabitants
A set of villages built on the slopes of the White Mountains at the mouth Almyrou River and the coast that crosses the bay, among vineyards, olive groves and forests. There, the visitor all the geological features of the island, concentrated in a small area: mountains and plains, rivers, lakes and the sea, wildlife and cropland. Landscapes of incomparable beauty, settlements that retain traditional Cretan elements but also residential areas with cosmopolitan atmosphere, nightlife, modern hotels with quality service and easy access to every part of western Crete through the highway that connects the major cities of the island . In Georgioupolis each summer, almost all the residents are dedicated to serving visitors: the famous Cretan hospitality finds here the ultimate transubstantiation.
Historical data on the area shown in the Minoan era. The excavations revealed a Minoan tomb formula Kastello findings and places of worship in the cave ‘Ravens’. Archaeological sites have also been identified in the areas south of the village Georgioupolis where the ancient Amfimalla, east of the village dramas (ancient Hydramia or Ydramio). This ancient city was built on the hill of Kefalas and was the seaport of the ancient city of Lappa (current Argiroupolis). The archaeological findings are kept in the museum of Chania, show that the city existed during the Late Minoan or palatial period (1580-1100 BC) and showed the greatest prosperity during the Roman period. Finally, the settlement “Kavallos” north of the lake were found remains of Roman era, while positioned on the banks of the existence of a temple dedicated to Athena Korisia. During the Byzantine period the area ruled by the noble family of Melissinos. Significant activity in the area seems developed during the 11th century monk John Xenos founded in drama of the Monastery of St. George (Douvrika). Through the will of the monk, gives valuable information in relation to the development of viticulture, apiculture and planting of orchards, to the river Mousella. Since the early 13th century, Crete becomes the influence of the Venetians. In literature the names of settlements that existed then: Azogeromuri, Chrussopoli, Castelo, Mathe, Flachi, Dramia, Curna, Calamitsi Amigdalu. Then the settlements were located in the highlands development in such locations that have natural defenses (hilltops). The bay was Almyrou ideal spot for a military invasion, so the Venetians built a fortress there. From the Sanctuary of Athena Korisia, the “infamous” closely Almyrou Almyrou The fortress was the focus of many rival battles during the subsequent centuries in order to conquer the region until its destruction in 1821 by Cretan rebels. During their rule, the Turks built with the stones of the ruins of this fortress another fort, near prior to this later demolished. The area around the ruins of two forts named “Kastellakia” or “Paliokastella.” The infamous “Strait Almyrou ‘Estuary became bandits and smugglers haven and no one is spared passer APTA hands. It is said that there was a black market gold Turkish lira. The river was navigable estuaries and offered him refuge in small sailboats, up to 500 meters from the sea, while to the north the bay which was docked sailboats and small steamers. To the east, in a small island now connected to the mainland for almost a century, a sailor built the church of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of seafood. In the south and west of this area, successive Turkish fortifications and the rebels, witness the troubled history. A city that emerged from the swamp “The eye sees, many trees and shrubs and evergreen high, but rushes huge and thousands of frogs, the canvassers malaria.” So describing a European traveler of the 19th century the region, from fear of robbers left uncultivated people, thus form a State, source of a terrible epidemic malaria that decimated the inhabitants of the surrounding areas. In this wilderness in 1880, reaching a trader from Athens, who understands the value of the area and decides to exploit the rich river water for crops. Papadogiannakis Miltiades, who was born in Kalamjtsi, build a house on “Kastellakia” and tries to convince the inhabitants of nearby villages and authorities, to help him to drain the marsh and to irrigate the fields. Alone, against the odds, starts work. Slowly comes the help and wait until 1893, the area attracts new residents, dried marsh, planted hundreds of eucalyptus and other trees and opens a small town, named Almyroupoli. In 1899, in honor of the arrival of Prince George and the forthcoming Union with Greece, renamed the Almyroupoli in Georgioupolis. Later, defined as the co-capital of Sfakia prefecture, the first Mayor founder, Miltiades Papadogiannaki.